The plan is for everyone to carry their own gear and rations. Between John and I, we are supplying Arnold with gear for the trip. I plan on having numerous 1L bottles of water for the trip. That should be plenty for me. I might procure some more bottles or try to rig a way to carry a 2 gal. jug along too. No such thing as extra water. I plan on taking instant oatmeal, ramen, canned stew, trail mix, granola bars, and of course coffee along.
The trip itself has few changes. Distances are all from Gavins Point. First distance is measured in Google Earth, second is from the SDGFP/NPR.
- Meet up and camp Friday evening at Chief White Crane State Recreation Area.
- Shuttle vehicles either Friday evening or Saturday morning.
- Depart on the river.
- Mouth of the James River (9.5 miles) Possible side trip.
- St Helena Potential Campsite (11.25 miles) (12 miles)
- Bow Creek Potential Campsite (~21miles)
- Goat Island Potential Campsite (24 miles to upstream end)(26 miles)
- Goat Island Downstream end (26.5 miles)
- Clay Co Recreation Area Potential Take Out (28 miles)
- SD Hwy 19 Bridge Potential Take Out (33.75 miles) (35 miles)
- Vermillion River Potential Take Out (36 miles)
- Bolton Bend Potential Take Out (44 miles) (48 miles)
For good weather the trip is likely to take just two days with camping around Bow Creek or Goat Island, but other campsites are shown for the potential of high winds and rain, as well as, side trips distracting us. The plan is to say 3 day trip and if we finish sooner, oh well. Cell phone reception should be adequate along this section of the river too.
View Larger Map
Should be a great trip!
And we are down to two definitive adventurers... Novartis denied the 1st shift's (Arne's shift) 3 day weekend. No Native American Day off.ReplyDelete